A few questions

Utilisation de Xcas pour Firefox et les navigateurs compatibles

Modérateur : xcasadmin

Alasdair

A few questions

Message par Alasdair » dim. avr. 26, 2020 12:24 am

My apologies for writing in English! (I don't know whether to post in this forum or the "English" one)...
  1. Is the Xcas spreadsheet available in the Firefox interface? If not, are there plans for that to happen?
  2. Is there a way of aborting an Xcas computation, without quitting Xcas completely?

(Occasionally Xcas crashes: sometimes I perform an iteration of 10 or 20 steps, and forget to start with a floating point value. If the start is symbolic, then the resulting mess of symbols can quickly overwhelm Xcas's memory. In this case I get a Firefox error advising me that a script is slowing the page and should I wait, or stop the script? If I choose stop, then Xcas becomes unresponsive, and I have to restart, losing all my previous work.)
  3. I'm hoping to use Xcas with my students, in which case I would create a number of "helper" programs to get them started. How can you load programs into Xcas?
  4. The documentation accessed through the Firefox interface seems sometimes to be out of sync. For example, if I look up "tran" for matrix transpose, the "more details" link takes me to the documentation for "rowAdd". For differentiation, the "more details" link on "diff" takes me to the documentation for tablefunc and plotfunc. Can this be fixed?
Thank you very much indeed,
Alasdair

parisse

Re: A few questions

Message par parisse » dim. avr. 26, 2020 7:53 am

Alasdair a écrit :
dim. avr. 26, 2020 12:24 am
Is the Xcas spreadsheet available in the Firefox interface? If not, are there plans for that to happen?
Unfortunately, the spreadsheet is in a very alpha state and there are no plans to improve it currently (help welcome!). Press math, then matrx, then check Spreadsheet. You can enter values or formulas, but there is no mouse support.
Is there a way of aborting an Xcas computation, without quitting Xcas completely?
(Occasionally Xcas crashes: sometimes I perform an iteration of 10 or 20 steps, and forget to start with a floating point value. If the start is symbolic, then the resulting mess of symbols can quickly overwhelm Xcas's memory. In this case I get a Firefox error advising me that a script is slowing the page and should I wait, or stop the script? If I choose stop, then Xcas becomes unresponsive, and I have to restart, losing all my previous work.)
I tried to implement that with a web-worker, but it's not convincing.
If your session runs forever, stop it when Firefox asks about long delay. The session will not work anymore, but if you click on the x2 link at the top, this will clone your session. Now you can change your input and exec it.
I'm hoping to use Xcas with my students, in which case I would create a number of "helper" programs to get them started. How can you load programs into Xcas?
The best is to publish on the forum or email them a session that is partially filled with your helper programs.
The documentation accessed through the Firefox interface seems sometimes to be out of sync. For example, if I look up "tran" for matrix transpose, the "more details" link takes me to the documentation for "rowAdd". For differentiation, the "more details" link on "diff" takes me to the documentation for tablefunc and plotfunc. Can this be fixed?
Indeed, it should be synchronized now. You will probably have to clear your browser cache to test https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... your_cache

Répondre