XCas on calculators (HP? Casio?)

Messages in english

Modérateur : xcasadmin

belanger

XCas on calculators (HP? Casio?)

Message par belanger » lun. août 06, 2018 9:14 pm

I just saw that XCas had been ported to the Casio fx-CG50. I intend to introduce my class to XCas, but there really wasn't a good way to let them use it during tests. As far as I can tell, the main use of calculators is to restrict the user, so this way the students can use Xcas during tests.

As I understand it, though, Xcas is the engine on HP Prime calculators. Would it be better to have an HP Prime, then? If so, which type?

Also, Chi-Cas(io) is a great name.

Jay

belanger

Re: XCas on calculators (HP? Casio?)

Message par belanger » mar. août 07, 2018 1:08 am

After thinking about it, if the version of Xcas on the HP Prime is reasonably up to date, that's probably the way to go. But there seem to be different versions. Any suggestions?

parisse

Message par parisse » mar. août 07, 2018 7:59 pm

Yes, the version of the HP Prime is almost up to date (about the same as 1.4.9-59 in the last released firmware).
I don't know the prices elsewhere, here in France the Prime is about twice the price of the Casio Graph 90+e (local name of the CG50), and that's the main reason why I worked hard to port Xcas to the Casio, the Prime is considered too expensive by most French students. If price is not too important for your students, here a few advantages and drawbacks:
-> if I can fix a bug, you will have the corrected Casio addin immediatly, on the Prime you must wait for the next firmware
-> There is no efficient way to find bugs on the Casio (unlike on the HP), therefore I can not warrant I can fix bugs that are specific to the Casio.
-> the Casio port addin is limited to 2Mo of flash, some features of Xcas are missing (but the most important features should be there)
-> the HP Prime hardware is better: faster, has a touchscreen, more memory...

belanger

Message par belanger » mar. août 07, 2018 9:03 pm

Thanks for the information.

The Casio is also easier to get; it is available in the little town I live in, while I had to order the HP. I'll have an HP Prime for my students to use during tests, but I'll make sure they know that they can pick up a Casio and run the program on there. I hope they take advantage of that.

belanger

Message par belanger » ven. août 10, 2018 1:01 am

(For what it's worth, I also got a Casio; more calculators for my students to borrow and also they can see what it'll be like if they get one.)

Répondre